Rabbit Sizes For Rangefinder

I have tested the theory and even with the exact measurements the Stadiametric rangefinder isn’t brilliant I must admit.

Testing using something I have the exact measurements of in comparison with a laser rangefinder paired to my scope worked out anywhere from 2 Yards -> 5 Yards difference (this was only at the small ranges I was testing with - up to 25 Yards).

I did some adjustments and the further away it was I had to over egg the items size a bit here and there to get anywhere close to what the distance actually was... @ 20 Yards I had to aim about an inch or two above and below the target.

I haven’t actually tested it on quarry yet but I will give it a go anyway and perhaps try giving it a little more top and bottom to see if it does work as a guide.

If it does indeed work (within a little) then I will not need to get a spotter with built-in rangefinder as the cheaper thermal spotters only have the same Stadiametric rangefinder that I already have pre-built into my scope.

I will update when I can. In the meantime I’ll probably be looking for a laser rangefinder at the right price 😂
Forgive me - this post reads like something out of Father Ted “these cows are near, those cows are ……..”.
🦊🦊

Have you thought about a laser like this mounted on your scope?

less than a tenner

Set up so that it matches your scope zero. If the dot is above or below your crosshair when shooting it will tell you if the rabbit is closer or further than your zero point and you can adjust accordingly.
That is a possible alternative although surely that would scare them? (as I shoot in mostly complete darkness and use NV).

That said I will give it a try too as my gun has a built-in laser I can turn on and off in programming mode. All I would need to do is zero it with my zero range and then when I take safety off it automatically comes on 😊 Thanks for the input, genuinely didn’t even think of that!

That is a possible alternative although surely that would scare them? (as I shoot in mostly complete darkness and use NV).

That said I will give it a try too as my gun has a built-in laser I can turn on and off in programming mode. All I would need to do is zero it with my zero range and then when I take safety off it automatically comes on 😊 Thanks for the input, genuinely didn’t even think of that!
Hope that works out for you.

I have the same scope. I tried the range finding by quarry height method and soon found I needed three hands and a tripod clamp, not to mention lighting quick eye focus to get it anywhere near measuring correctly in time to take shot. Have you tried the X-Sight's ABL add on laser? It does work well in my humble opinion and I use it for 300BO where accurate ranging is a bonus if you want to actually hit something.

Mind you, I've taken all that tech gubbins off my new (2nd hand) 17WSM and I've gone back to good ol' glass optics, day and night. The round zips along and is laser flat with 1 minute of rabbit between 30m and 150m so there's next to no turret twiddling. Next to no rabbit left either.

I have the same scope. I tried the range finding by quarry height method and soon found I needed three hands and a tripod clamp, not to mention lighting quick eye focus to get it anywhere near measuring correctly in time to take shot. Have you tried the X-Sight's ABL add on laser? It does work well in my humble opinion and I use it for 300BO where accurate ranging is a bonus if you want to actually hit something.

Mind you, I've taken all that tech gubbins off my new (2nd hand) 17WSM and I've gone back to good ol' glass optics, day and night. The round zips along and is laser flat with 1 minute of rabbit between 30m and 150m so there's next to no turret twiddling. Next to no rabbit left either.
Yes - I have tried it, although with airgun I think I must have some ballistic data wrong as I think it keeps throwing off the zero. Any tips on getting the correct data guaranteed?

To be honest my setup is complete overkill - I have a .22 Daystate Pulsar FAC with a ATN X-Sight 4K Pro 5-20x and I use a comfy 360 swivel seat with clamp arm... I get setup and sit there until they come out anywhere from about 20 -> 80 Yards - I previously was using a 180 swivel shooting seat with primos gen 3 stick but the kits getting a bit weighty so opted for the swivel chair! 😊

I am expecting delivery of my laser guided . 22 air rifle pellets at any time and wounded if anyone could help me fathom out what the hell to do with them as my gun is. 177 Air arms

Yes - I have tried it, although with airgun I think I must have some ballistic data wrong as I think it keeps throwing off the zero. Any tips on getting the correct data guaranteed?

To be honest my setup is complete overkill - I have a .22 Daystate Pulsar FAC with a ATN X-Sight 4K Pro 5-20x and I use a comfy 360 swivel seat with clamp arm... I get setup and sit there until they come out anywhere from about 20 -> 80 Yards - I previously was using a 180 swivel shooting seat with primos gen 3 stick but the kits getting a bit weighty so opted for the swivel chair! 😊
Sorry, I missed your question. I use Strelok Pro and I use that data table to compare what the ATN is calculating is the bottom left of the screen. Before I used the ABL I left the XSight set at 50m, then applied my estimation of holdovers.

I've also got the swivelly old man gun rest seat :)

Say what you like, I think laser guided explode on impact air rifle pellets are the way forward of this very complicated issue (with a good back stop of course, preferably a pile of old thermal scopes, shotcams, pig saddles, oh and range:old: finders + any other krap that's totally unnecessary, JMHO

Say what you like, I think laser guided explode on impact air rifle pellets are the way forward of this very complicated issue (with a good back stop of course, preferably a pile of old thermal scopes, shotcams, pig saddles, oh and range:old: finders + any other krap that's totally unnecessary, JMHO

I know it's amazing, nowadays the youngsters are coming up will all sort of stuff, like bread that doesn't need cutting and I've even heard there's a way to cook it that pops up.

Back