Overview of the Reloading Process - From Spent Case to Loaded Round

csl

Administrator
Site Staff
This is such a good post but sadly photobucket has stopped the photos being posted. Any chance that Site Admin are able to embed them (if that's the right term)?

All best,

Z.

Luckily I had the photos with the correct names backed up, so I just re-uploaded them to the SD this time!

johngryphon

csl today is the first time that I have ever seen this thread and I have to say that your photo essay is ****ing brilliant.
I am not a reloader myself,mates do it for me but it is easy even for a dolt like me to follow as you have laid it out so well and I know how much work goes into hosting/uploading photos as well.

Great stuff,impressed!

shooter5354

Good write up, but would like to make one addition. When tumbling cases after de-priming (to remove lube), always ensure that primer flash holes are not blocked with tumbling media, prior to putting in new primers.

Border

Great that this is back up with photos. Well done on providing a well illustrated insight on how to reload metallic cartridges :thumb:

zambezi

One aspect of the process on which I would like clarification: the first tumbling of spent cases is in an abrasive material, correct? I note you describe dusting the cases off after that, but the next image clearly shows residual grey powder inside all the case necks: https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/index.php?media/reloading-article-2.12906/full

Is that dust removed by the second tumbling in alternate (corn) material? If not, I am wondering what potential there exists for a barrel scouring action when the reloaded cartridge is fired and pushes any extant tumbler dust out the barrel with burnt gases.

Border

I dont worry about tumbling myself. Just give cases a wipe off with cloth and any powder soot on neck or shoulder with fine wire wool. Used to use a ultrasonic but dont see any real point now for my use.

Ozalid

I bought a tumbler before I realised that I didn't need one, still it does make the cases nice and shiny, I de-prime before tumbling and always make sure there is no media residue in the cases then give the necks a quick brush with a bronze brush, but I do agree that this whole process is unnecessary and a quick brush inside the neck is all that is required.

bullet chucker

No body has commented on the quality of the pictures, I will, they are top class well done and a well thought out subject! I might add, had it been put in the reloading section I would not have looked at it.

BC.

Smelly Yeti

Good write up Alex - thanks for sharing. Whilst still a novice I find reloading quite a therapeutic task and enjoy it. Only just bought myself comparators and still not overly confident in the correct/best way to calculate for OAL..... possibly the next guide? Cheers again.

Longstrider

As someone who recently inherited a press , various dies and an RCBS ChargeMaster I'll soon be reloading for my .270 and my .204. I've been all over the web looking stuff up and watching videos on the subject and this thread has given more useful and straightforward info than any of the rest of it has, other than 'recipes' for my own particular calibres. Thank You !
As above ... if a similarly straightforward guide to comparators and OAL were to be posted I'd be doubly grateful.

Muir

As someone who recently inherited a press , various dies and an RCBS ChargeMaster I'll soon be reloading for my .270 and my .204. I've been all over the web looking stuff up and watching videos on the subject and this thread has given more useful and straightforward info than any of the rest of it has, other than 'recipes' for my own particular calibres. Thank You !
As above ... if a similarly straightforward guide to comparators and OAL were to be posted I'd be doubly grateful.
This is a great thread but i'd advise you to get a good book on reloading (not just the data but the theory and process) and read it.~Muir

paramedicmatt

Great insight into reloading , thank you. I have never reloaded as it looked like a dark art and i have no idea where to start.
My rifle club is running a course at the end of the month , I will now be attending that as this post has given me hope.

Just wondering what kit you need to be able to reload rounds , do you have a list ?

Thanking in advance

Matt

VIGILAIRE

Matt - I have been reloading for nearly 40 years and despite having a mountain of kit you still find another little doodad that you can't live without.

Am sure others will chime in but Muir's advice on getting a good book is essential for starters. The Lee book is very good, user 'spice' has/had copies for sale in the classifieds.

I also suggest you start off with what you will end up with. I was always an RCBS fan and still am but Dillon make the best progressives and Lee dies have much going for them.

Enjoy your course and enjoy safe reloading. It gives me nearly as much pleasure as shooting these days.

paramedicmatt

Matt - I have been reloading for nearly 40 years and despite having a mountain of kit you still find another little doodad that you can't live without.

Am sure others will chime in but Muir's advice on getting a good book is essential for starters. The Lee book is very good, user 'spice' has/had copies for sale in the classifieds.

I also suggest you start off with what you will end up with. I was always an RCBS fan and still am but Dillon make the best progressives and Lee dies have much going for them.

Enjoy your course and enjoy safe reloading. It gives me nearly as much pleasure as shooting these days.
Some people describe it as almost therapeutic ? I am keen to learn and think this course will inspire me further , concerned about my own ability and trusting the method. A good book will aid me as suggested.

Thanks for the info , people are extremely helpful and informative on this site. It’s amazing.